CBD has become widely used for several health and wellness benefits, and as more people are learning about its effects, more terms associated with cannabis and CBD are surfacing. While most of us are familiar with CBD and THC, there is so much more to know about the cannabis plant and the hundreds of compounds found inside it. One of these compounds that is worth learning about is called Cannabigerol (CBG).
What is Cannabigerol (CBG)?
CBG is considered a minor cannabinoid because only a small percentage is found in the cannabis plant. It is considered a precursor to the other cannabinoids because when the acidic form of CBG is heated, it breaks down and creates CBG, CBD, CBC, and THC.
CBG is known to have several health benefits because of its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. CBG interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid system by interacting with CB1 and CB2 receptors which are used to regulate mood, pain response and appetite. While more research needs to be done, it appears that CBG interacts with the body’s endocannabinoid receptors differently than CBD or THC, so it produces different effects.
So, what is CBG used for?
Like CBD, CBG does not get you high. Also like CBD, it is believed to have anti-inflammatory effects. Although there has not been a significant amount of research done on CBG yet, it is believed to have several health benefits, including:
- Improving symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease. According to study results, CBG helps reduce inflammation associated with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Helping to treat glaucoma. It is believed that the CBG in cannabis can effectively treat glaucoma because it reduces intraocular pressure.
- Treats bacterial infections by killing dangerous bacteria in the body.
- Treats bladder dysfunctions.
- Effective treatment for cancer. According to research, CBG may help reduce the growth of cancer cells and other tumors, thus making an effective treatment for cancer.
- Helps increase appetite. It is believed that CBG can stimulate the appetite, which makes it beneficial for people with cancer and other medical conditions that cause appetite loss.
There has been a lot of research done on both THC and CBD, but research on CBG is still in its infancy. Because of this, we are still learning about its potential health benefits compared to other cannabinoids such as CBD. We have a feeling more research will start popping up as so many people are expressing interest in this newly discovered cannabis compound. Stay tuned as we follow along!
Want to stay informed?
If you want to stay informed of the latest information regarding CBD and CBG, follow our blog. The Farmula strives to deliver the most up to date information surrounding these topics and is available to answer any direct questions you may have. All our products are sourced from organically grown hemp.
For more information, contact The Farmula today!